There are several ways to go about repairing teeth that have been damaged by tooth decay or cavities, some of those restorative options include inlays and onlays. Inlays and onlays are a more conservative approach than dental crowns are because they don’t require as much of your natural tooth to be removed. This procedure is also considered less invasive an in some cases are a better choice for patients. Many benefits stem from inlays and onlays, some of those benefits include the following:
- Natural Looking- Inlays and onlays are made up of a mixture of porcelain and composite resin, which creates a more natural looking appearance.
- Durability- Since inlays and onlays are made from a stronger material than crowns, they typically last longer and provide additional support.
- Tooth Preservation- Inlays and onlays don’t require your dentist to remove as much of your natural tooth structure, thus preserving more of your natural tooth.
- Hygiene- Inlays and onlays are custom made for each individual tooth making them easier to clean and bacteria is less likely to get into the affected area after treatment.
- Expansion- Inlays and onlays don’t expand and contract in the same way as filling materials reducing the stresses on the tooth.
If you would like to learn more about inlays and onlays, contact Barmby and Frick Prosthodontists in Walnut Creek, CA at 925-934-5526 or visit our website at www.barmbyfrickprosthodontics.com for more information regarding restorative dentistry.