After getting your teeth whitened you walk out of the dentist office with a bright, white smile – but how do you keep it that way? Proper oral habits. There are also some foods and beverages that should be avoided, especially immediately after getting your teeth whitened. The following list includes a few tips to keep that smile sparkling:
- Avoid drinking dark colored beverages immediately after getting your teeth whitened. Beverages such as coffee, black tea, red wine and dark sodas stain your teeth quite easily.
- Avoid eating dark or bright colored foods immediately after teeth whitening, as it can cause staining. Try sticking to eating white foods like chicken, pasta or potatoes.
- If you smoke, avoid smoking for at least 12 hours, 24 hours if you can help it. There are many ingredients in cigarettes that cause stains.
- Avoid wearing lipstick immediately after teeth whitening, lipstick is known to stain due to the semi-permanent color.
- Make sure to brush and floss your teeth daily to remove any build-up that can cause staining. Brushing twice a day and flossing once a day is recommended.
- Rinse your mouth out with water after every meal to get rid of remaining food debris that could potentially stain your newly whitened teeth.
- Long term results are determined on how well you keep up with your regular oral hygiene routine. If you stick to these tips that have been listed above your teeth will remain whiter for a longer period of time.
For more information about teeth whitening after care, call Drs. Barmby and Frick in Walnut Creek, CA at 9255-934-5526 or visit www.barmbyfrickprosthodontics.com.
Drs. Barmby and Frick proudly serves patients from Walnut Creek, Concord, Danville, Lafayette, Alamo, Orinda and all surrounding areas.