If I were to tell you that there are foods that can naturally whiten your teeth, would you believe me? Just as certain types of foods can cause stains or discoloration, there are also foods that can have the opposite effect on your teeth.
According to the American Academy of Cosmetic Dentistry (AACD), certain types of food can naturally cleanse, whiten and even help defend against bad bacteria that could possibly harm your teeth and/or gums.
Our gums and teeth essentially mirror what is going on inside your body, meaning what you consume highly influences the integrity and health of your teeth. Try adding the following foods into diet, and enjoy not only a whiter smile, but also the nutritional benefits that come along with them!
- Broccoli. When broccoli is eaten raw it acts as a gentle abrasive to the surface of your teeth, which can remove unsightly stains. Broccoli is rich is fiber, and if eaten regularly it can go a long way in preventing gum disease. The iron found in broccoli also provides a barrier that protects your teeth from stains and cavity-causing acids.
- Celery. Say farewell to tooth stains as you munch on a piece of celery. These yummy veggies aren’t just low in calories and packed with nutrients, the fibrous cellulose acts as a natural toothbrush, while the high water content stimulates saliva production.
- Apple. You know the saying “an apple a day will keep the doctor away”. Well, that may also go for a teeth-whitening trip to the dentist as well. Apples act as a natural abrasive and scrub away stains and other food particles. They also contain a high concentration of malic acid, a natural astringent that acts as a bleaching agent.
- Strawberries. Similar to apples, strawberries also contain high levels of malic acid. Strawberries also have the added benefit of being rich in vitamin C, which provides a boost to the immune system, helping aid in fighting off bacterial infections like gum disease.
- Cheese. While the colors of cheese may throw one off, most cheese will not stain teeth. Cheese is high in calcium and phosphorus, which helps provide your teeth with the necessary nutrition to keep your tooth enamel strong and healthy.
- Pineapple. Pineapples are a unique fruit since they are the only food that contains an enzyme called bromelain. Bromelain is a natural stain remover that helps removes plaque from the surface of your teeth, which prevents tooth erosion and cavities from forming.
- Onions and Garlic. The key is to eat these raw. Doing so will release a bacteria-reducing compound called thiosulfinate. Thiosulfonates promotes healthier teeth by reducing the production of plaque. Also, the fact that garlic and onions are both colorless just ensures that they will not stain teeth.
- Water. Last but definitely not least, we have water. If you ever needed another reason to drink more water, how about the fact that it can help keep your pearly whites shining bright. In addition, drinking water during and after your meals helps rinse your mouth of any food particles and loose plaque.
As you can see there are many ways to naturally whiten teeth and maintain the brightness of your smile. Of course, for a better-looking and healthier smile, regular consumption of these foods isn’t enough. You should also be sure to make it a point to practice proper oral hygiene, and visit your dentist for checkups and professional cleanings on a regular basis.
If you would like to transform your smile with the help of cosmetic dentistry, contact Barmy and Frick Prosthodontics in Walnut Creek, CA at 925-934-5526 to schedule a consultation today. Or visit www.barmbyfrickprosthodontics.com for information regarding teeth whitening treatments.